Thailand Retirement Visa

Thai Retirement Visa

Thailand has over the years become a hot spot in Asia for retirement as the cost of living is low, crime levels are far lower than Europe or Spain and the weather is great most days of the year. Many people see Thailand as an excellent place for retirement. The Kingdom of Thailand has about 76 provinces which offer different attractions, cultures and experiences. It is for these reasons that many foreigners are drawn to retire in this country every year.

The application process for retirement visa in Thailand is pretty straightforward. Over the years, however, this has become a rather confusing subject to many due to the inconsistency in the immigration processes. Not only are the processes varying in the Thai Embassies and Consulates around the world but also with some rules in different immigration offices all across Thailand.

Consider the following guidelines if you wish to retire in Thailand.


  • The client must be at least 50 years of age or over during the time of the application.
  • The client must meet the financial requirement which could be any of the following:
    • Security deposit of 800,000 baht in a Thai bank; or
    • A monthly income or pension of 65,000 baht; or
    • A total of 800,000 baht combination of personal bank deposit and income or pension for the entire year.

Processing of Visa Application

There are at least two ways on how to get a visa to retire in Thailand:

  1. Application outside Thailand.

    A foreigner who meets the age requirement set by the Thai Embassy (in their country) can directly apply for the 1 Year Non-Immigrant OA visa from their home country. Application for this type of visa requires the applicant to submit a police clearance and medical certificate.

  2. Application inside Thailand

    Getting a 1 year visa extension inside Thailand based on retirement requires an initial application for a Non-Immigrant O visa. The Non-Immigrant O visa is usually applied at the Thai Embassy in the applicant’s home country, but it can also be obtained inside Thailand. However, the applicant must already meet the financial requirement if they wish to go with the latter.

    In addition, applicants of Non-immigrant O visa extension in Thailand must provide evidence of their address in Thailand. Processing of visa extension is done at the immigration office in the same area, or usually the one nearest to their location in case there is none in their city or province.

Renewal of Extension

Once the applicant has obtained a one year extension of stay based on retirement, the extension can be renewed every year within Thailand. The renewal application must be done prior to the expiration of the current visa. The procedure for renewal is the same as for the initial application, and therefore this should be an easier task for retirees who are able to obtain an extension before.


  1. Avatar

    That’s good thank you. Cos I will do it in BKmin that case not CM. I had one other point. My current address is CM. I’m afraid BKK immigration may not renew there because of this, although I am leaving CM to relocate to BKK after summer in London.

    1. Consultant

      You might need to provide documents then as proof that you are moving to Bangkok from Chiang Mai. It’s best if you can contact or visit the Immigration Office in Bangkok to confirm your concern.

  2. Avatar


    I have a Non Immigrant OA visa (retirement) that expires on 24 July 2016 but I’ll be in France until 28th of July.

    Should I ask for an extension of my visa when I’m back in Thailand (visa expired) or should I apply for an extension (or a new one) in France?

    Thank you

    1. Consultant

      You should start your application for the retirement visa extension before leaving Thailand. Applying for a new one in France is another option.

  3. Avatar

    I have a Non-Immigrant0 Visa in my passport, issued by a Consulate in Austria. They told me, that I have to contact a Immigration Office within 3 month. I am living near Ubon Rathchathani. Where is the next Immigration Office I can contact?

    1. Consultant

      Below is the information of the immigration office in Ubonratchathani for your reference. You may contact them regarding your concern.

      26 Amphoe Phibun Mangsahan
      Changwat Ubonratchathani
      ​Tel: 0-4544-1108

  4. Avatar

    I am wishing to retire in Thailand from Australia. I will be living in the Phetchaboon area. Where is the nearest Immigration office. Also I will marry my Thai lady soon after arriving in Thailand and living with her in a home that I will have paid for on her land.Her yellow book will have her and my name on it
    What will I need to obtain a retirement visa

    1. Consultant

      There are several immigration offices in neighboring provinces however you would need to check with the local police station which immigration office will cater to you as a resident of the Petchabun province.

      As for the retirement visa, please refer below to the general requirements.

      • Must be 50 years of age or older.
      • Must be able to show your financial evidence between:
      • ​​BANK ACCOUNT SHOWING THB 800,000 (must be able to show the evidence of transfer the money to your Thai Bank account and this sum of money must be deposited in your bank account at least 2 months) OR
      • MONTHLY INCOME/PENSION OF AT LEAST THB 65,000 (must present a letter from your embassy to prove the pension and the letter from the government or social security).
  5. Avatar

    My Thai retirement visa expires in Feb 2017. I am in the UK and am not back in Thailand until January 2017. I intend to stay in Thailand for 4-5 months and will renew my visa. Will immigration only stamp my visa for 30 days as I will only have 1 month left on my retirement visa?

    1. Consultant

      Upon arriving at Thailand, you will be given your last entry which is for a 90-day duration of stay. You will need to renew your visa before the end of the 90-day period to avoid having to go through a new application process again.

  6. Avatar

    Samui immigration is asking for a full medical and blood test for all people renewing their retirement visas. The government hospital on Samui must be used. This is new. Has this been approved by the main immigration office?

    1. Consultant

      The medical exam is a requirement for immigration offices in other provinces as well, but not all. As for the use of the government hospital in Samui, this may be the discretion of the immigration office in the province.

  7. Avatar

    I am informed that since July 2016 retirees on Koh Samui are required to undergo a complete medical including a blood test from the government hospital each time that they renew their visa. Is this normal practice in Thailand?

    1. Consultant

      The medical exam is a requirement for immigration offices in other provinces as well, but not all. As for the use of the government hospital in Samui, this may be the discretion of the immigration office in the province.

  8. Avatar

    Can I get retirement visa through an agent in Thailand, after arrival on tourist visa.

    Kind regards

    1. Consultant

      You may send your inquiry to for further assistance regarding the Retirement Visa application process.

  9. Avatar

    Hello, I have a question about 90-days-notification. I made it online via and received the confirmation mail already. now the website is offline but i found another (new?) one ( but there’s no link for the online notification, so I cannot print out my letter for the next appointment. Why is that and what can I do?

    1. Consultant

      Kindly refer to the link below instead for the online notification platform as provided on the ​ website.

  10. Avatar

    Christopher Millar

    Hello – I was issued a retirement visa on 26/02/16 for a full year until 29/03/17 …I have misread the stamp date and re-read when someone mention re-check today … Should I have checked in 90 days (26/05/16) and if yes (Obviously missed the 90 day date) what should I do now … Concerned BKK

    1. Consultant

      Kindly refer to the ​below ​information as specified by Thai immigration regarding late reporting. Kindly proceed to the immigration office in Chaengwattana to pay the fine for late reporting as specified below.

      If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

Leave a Reply to John Smith Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *