Marriage Visa for Thailand

Thailand Marriage Visa

Foreigners who are legally married to a Thai national may apply for a Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Thailand.

You can apply to live in Thailand long term if you are married to a Thai or if you have a Thai child or children. The marriage visa for Thailand is issued at a Thai Embassy in your home country and it is normally issued as a single entry visa and valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand.

These are the documents need to start the process and will get you a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. certain embassies want to see at least 100,000 THB in a Thai bank account to issue you with a multiple entry “O” visa or marriage visa. These do vary from embassy to embassy. Once you enter Thailand you have 90 days to extend this visa for 1 year and this process normally takes 3-4 weeks to complete. They will need the following documents for the extension for the visa.

  • Copy of your passport;
  • Copy of your Thai marriage certificate (both versions);
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card;
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Papers)
  • Copy of a map to your residence in Thailand;
  • Copy of photos showing you and your wife together;
  • Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in your bank account;or
  • Copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income

As stated the process takes about 3 weeks and you would need to ensure once it is issued that you obtain a re-entry permit to ensure that when you leave Thailand and return that you do not invalidate the extended visa. With this extended visa you do not need to leave Thailand every 3 months to activate another leg of your visa. You only need to report your home address to Thai immigration every 90 days.

The process can be difficult so it is always best to speak to a lawyer in Thailand who can assist you with the extension process and the visa application. Speak to us online or in person in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai or in Isaan.


100 thoughts on “Marriage Visa for Thailand”
  1. Dear all

    Quick question for you please
    I am martied to a thai lady, I have a valid marriage visa from the UK

    I came into thailand on the 1st may, my multi entry visa expires on the 29 july
    I would like to stay 1 week extra to do a martial arts course

    Is that possible?

    Kind regards


    1. You may apply for a visa extension (either 1 or 2 months) by paying a fee of THB 1,900 at the nearest Immigration Office in your area. As an option, you may also obtain a visa exempt stamp of 15 days by doing a border run to any neighboring countries of Thailand.

    2. Hello again

      Sorry for the late reply. I went to the immigration in Jontiem, they told me I can only get an extra week there and not a month as what I wanted. I need to leave Thailand to get extend more.

      Please advise?

      Best regards


    3. Depending on the type of your visa or entry stamp given to you when you entered Thailand, you may only be allowed to extend your stay for 7 days. As an option for you to stay longer in Thailand, you may do a border run at a neighboring country. Citizens of some countries are eligible to get 15 days entry stamp to Thailand at any border crossing. For more information, you may check the website below:

  2. Dear All,

    Please, help me out. I just wanted to know why? Here is my problem.

    I am married to Thai lady and holding a non-imm visa. I came into Thailand on the 19th June 2015 from my homeland Nepal. And my multi entry visa expires on the 16th July 2015. I went to the immigration office in BKK today (30th Jun 2015) for extend my visa because maybe I have to go back to Nepal again but not sure yet. Only for emergency travel so. Now my visa done only for 28th July 2015 with single entries. That means it’s valid till 28th July 2015. I paid 1900 THB for the processing. I would like to know why and how they gave me a visa? if they count a day from today then why only for 29 days? Even my visa is valid till 16th July 2015? and they gave me till 28th July 2015. I am very confused. I don’t know what will I do next? But today I have submitted all the documents. Please anyone explain it to me. Thank you so much.

    1. The number of days (for the extension of stay) that can be given to you is on a discretionary basis by the immigration officer. An extension that can be issued to foreigners for their tourist visa is up to 30 days. Since you are married to a Thai national, it is best that you apply for a non-immiigrant O visa based on your marriage. You may leave your contact details if you wish to talk to a visa specialist about your situation.

  3. Dear Consultant,
    i am about to complete one year of my stay in Thai land under Non “O” visa (marriage visa). I would like to extend my same visa for another year, i am wondering about the salary to show, and supporting documents needed to prove that required amount of salary.

    I am working as a English teacher through a agency, the agency can provide me work permit as well as Non “B” visa too. But i don’t want to change my Non “O” visa to Non “B” visa. I want to continue my current Non “O” visa for next year too, so could you please provide me information about what documents i should ask to agency, to show to immigration office, to continue my Non “O” visa for the next year.

  4. Hello my name Asif I live in Pattaya and married with Thai girl but my visa type of Ed now I get last stamp 90 days. Now I want to change the type to non O, so how I will get it I have no bank statement? I am a Pakistani but I am legal and clear every time.. help me

  5. I wish to extend my marriage visa for another 12 months and the due date is December 1 this year.

    I have the required 400,000 Baht in a Thai Bank Account and I also have a pension paid by the Australian Government of 30,000 Baht per month. That amount varies with the fluctuation of the value of the Australian Dollar. The amount used to be about 42,000 Baht per month but because I am married to and living with a Thai lady, the Australian Government laws say I cannot be paid the full pension.

    I would like to use some of the 400,000 Baht I have in the bank but cannot because of the visa extension requirement.

    According to the Thai Immigration website, a combination of the 30,000 Baht per month (ie 360,000 Baht per year) and money I have in the bank would satisfy the financial requirement.

    I asked at the Khon Kaen Immigration Office and they said they had never heard of that option and that I must have 400,000 Baht in the bank to satisfy the financial requirement for the visa extension.

    Could you please tell me if that option really is available to me and how I go about convincing the Khon Kaen Immigration Office that it is acceptable to do this.

    Thanks for your help.

    1. Meeting the requirement for Thai marriage visa to prove that you are financially able to support your stay in Thailand is not the same for all the immigration offices in Thailand. Apparently, the one in Khon Kaen only accepts either showing your bank account or declaring your monthly income.

    2. The immigration office in Bangkok accepts the combination of income and savings in a Thai bank but you are not allowed to submit in Bangkok if you are not residing in Bangkok.

    3. Could you please tell me why this option is not available in Khon Kaen but it is available in Bangkok. It is very confusing to say the least. In other countries, one law applies to the whole country, not just the capital city.

    4. Because in the first place, it was never an option. Only in Bangkok that they gave this option. Only a retirement visa extension has this combination option.

    5. I don’t wish to contradict what you are saying but the below is a copy and paste from the Thai Immigration website which states clearly that the combination applies to marriage visa extension.

      “Thailand Marriage Visa

      Thailand marriage visa is the type of visa granted to eligible foreigner spouse of Thai citizens. Aside from being legally married, the foreign spouse must satisfy the financial and other requirements set by the immigration bureau. Working in Thailand is allowed for holders of Marriage Visa, provided a valid work permit will be obtained before starting to work.

      To know if your foreign spouse is eligible for Marriage Visa, please check the following requirements:

      Legally married to Thai national.
      A copy of the marriage certificate to support this claim must be provided.
      Able to satisfy the financial requirement of:
      savings of THB 400,000 deposited in a Thai bank account 2 months prior to visa application.
      monthly income of at least THB 40,000. This will be supported by securing a letter from the foreign spouse’s embassy to verify this income or
      Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income with the sum of 400,000 THB.

      Marriage visa is valid for one calendar year, and is renewable every year by submission of the same set of requirements just like the first time application. However, the funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

      In the event of divorce, the validity of your marriage visa will be forfeited. Sometimes, you will be allowed to stay in the country until the expiration of your current marriage visa. Check with the immigration bureau which applies to your case.

      Visa Application Process

      The foreigner spouse could obtain a 90-day or even a one year non-immigrant O visa from his home country or country of residence.

      Once the Non-immigrant visa is obtained, you can use this to travel to Thailand.

      On the last 30 days of the 90-day permit, the non-immigrant O visa will be converted to one year marriage visa at the immigration office in Thailand.

      After obtaining the Marriage Visa, the holder needs to notify at the nearest Immigration office every 90 days.

    6. As we have mentioned before, there are regulations that may not be the same in all the immigration offices in Thailand. We advise that you visit the immigration office near you and confirm with them your concern on the financial requirement.

  6. Hi

    I am currently changing my single entry non immigrant O to a marraige visa, (my wife is thai and i’m from the UK), can i travel for a week to cambodia or philappines once I have a marraige visa? Do I need a permit to do so, please advise? Also how long does it take to get a thai marraige visa when converting non immigrant O visa? hank you

  7. Hi

    I am a Chinese from China, My boyfriend is a Thai and i am planning to move to Thailand since we are going to get married. I would like to know the requirements and the process involved about applying marriage visa.

    -Currently i am working in Malaysia(holding Chinese passport) and i will cancel my Malaysia working visa and go to Thailand with VISA ON ARRIVAL without a returning flight tickets, is this allow?

    -We haven’t legal married now, we are planning to register as legal married couple in Thailand and what documents i need to prepare as a foreigner?

    -I have searched some information online saying that i need get the certificate to declare i am single from my home country but some of them saying i don’t need this, so i am bit confuse.

    Looking forward your reply.


    1. You will need to show a return ticket to qualify for the visa on arrival. In regard to registering your marriage in Thailand with your Thai fiance, you will be required to obtain the Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from the Chinese Embassy in Bangkok. You may contact your embassy if you wish to know more about the process in applying for this document.

  8. Hi there,

    I am an Australian citizen, and my wife is Thai, we have been married 18 months and now I am looking to get a spouse visa.

    Your list says that you need to show 400,000 THB in a bank account or 40,000 THB income monthly.
    Can this be foreign income, for example money earned in Australia, and what proof would be required to show what? Just a payslip from an Australian Company.

    Also you say a copy of your thai marriage certificate (both versions).
    What is the second version? I only have the one. What other one do I need to get?

    You say the visa has 4 legs, if I enter thai for only 2 week then go back to Australia does this count as 1 leg used up?

    After the first year is finished, do I need to return to Australia to begin the whole process again?


    1. If you are going to use the monthly income option for the financial requirement, you will need to obtain an affidavit of income from the Australian Embassy in Thailand. They’re the one who will confirm if the payslip would be enough as evidence of your monthly income.

      For proof of your marriage, you will need to show both the marriage certificate and registration issued by the local district office in Thailand.

      The initial visa that you can apply for in Australia can be either a single-entry or multiple-entry (up to 4 entries). When you arrive in Thailand, you may apply for an extension of one year to your non-immigrant visa so you wouldn’t have to leave Thailand and apply for another non-immigrant O visa when it expires.

  9. Hello, I entered Thailand with a multi-entry non immigrant O and I want to change to marraige visa (my wife is Thai, I’m British). My current visa will expire next year but the latest 90-day stamp allows me to stay until next month (90 day allowance will expire in 35 days) Can I go to the immigration office and change to Marriage visa this week? (Although I still have 3 entries allowance and 6 months left on my 1-year multi-entry non O visa)
    Thank you.

    1. Yes, you may visit the immigration office and start the process of extending your visa to 1 year (marriage visa). The earliest date that an applicant can do the marriage visa application is up to 45 days from the validity date of the 90-day non-immigrant O visa.

  10. Hi,
    I am hoping to have clarification on the financial requirement for a marriage visa.
    It is stated here that it is 400,000THB in a Thai Bank account or 40,000THB in monthly income.
    Is there no option – similar to the retirement visa – for a total of 400,000 THB combination of personal bank deposit and monthly income for the entire year? Or does it have to be strictly one or the other in the case of the marriage visa?
    Tanks and Regards, Ray

    1. For the marriage visa, it’s only either the bank account security deposit or your monthly income and the combination is not an option.

  11. Hi,
    I have read that the Financial requirements for the marriage visa aren’t the same when you as a foreigner is married to a Thai man. Is this true? Do I have to apply for a marriage visa at the closest immigration Office to my husbands registered address or is it possible to apply for this anywhere?

    1. The requirements for the marriage visa is the same for all the applicants, regardless of their race and gender. In regard to the lodging of the application, you will need to apply at the nearest immigration office to your registered address.

  12. Dear all,
    in March 2016 I need to do a new Non immigrant O visa, can you please tell me what this kind of visa cost?

    Thank you very much.

    With best regards

    Roberto Lasta

    1. Please contact the embassy directly regarding your enquiry.

      The initial application for the Non-Immigrant O Visa is done outside of Thailand. Therefore, the cost of the visa, if applying for the first time, depends on which Thai Embassy you are going to lodge your application at.

  13. Dear all,
    I thought a witness (no family) is also required for a marriage visa. This witness should come together with you and your Thai wife (men) and presents copy of ID and house registration.

    Please inform me about this.
    with kind regards

  14. I been living in Thailand for 12 years now and have a marriage visa which is renewal able on 4th June every year. This year I will be 65 years old on 3rd April, can I use a letter from the British Embassy confirming my pensions or is there a time limit? I usually renew my visa in May but it expires on 4th June.

    Many Thanks

    1. If you are going to use the monthly pension or income for your visa application, you may start the process on the last day as the latest date or as early as 45 days in advance prior to the expiration of your current visa.

  15. I have married a Thai citizen in india. My marriage is legal but when I applied for O category visa on in India first time they refused my visa and convert that into category B again I have applied visa for O category then again it was refused.

    Kindly help me so that I can stay in Thailand with my wife.

    1. You have to insist with the Thai embassy that they must issue a non immigrant O visa for having a Thai spouse. This is an internal matter at the Thai embassy, we cannot assist you on this.

  16. Do they hold your passport during the 3 week extension of stay process? What if I have to leave the country during this time?

    Thank you

    1. Please contact the office where you will be applying for the extension regarding your concern.

  17. by any chance, do you know if a SIngle entry 3-month O visa (for voluntary services) can be extended to a year in the immigration office? applying for re-entry permits and doing visa runs is taking up so much pages in my passport.

    1. Your ability to extend your visa will depend on the documents submitted to support your application. For more information, please contact the Immigration Office directly.

  18. Hi, I am going to marry with Thai girl. My fiancée have her own home and working in Thailand. I don’t have any employment. Also don’t have sufficient assets or money.
    Now in this case how I can got marriage visa for long term stay.

  19. Dear Consultant, Pls understand situation. As I already mentioned that I don’t have finance to afford these 100K TBH or 400K TBH.

    So advise me now. Thanks.

    1. You will need to directly contact the Thai Embassy or Consulate regarding your concern. Please note that we are not the Thai Embassy nor are we, in any way, connected or related to them or to any Thai government offices in Thailand and, therefore, we are unable to inform you regarding your concern.

  20. Hi I am married to a Thai. I just want to go to see my wife for three months. Can you tell me what visa I need and what papers I need?

    1. You may apply for a single entry tourist visa valid for 60 days of stay and have this extended for another 30 days at an immigration office once you arrive in Thailand.

      Kindly contact the Thai embassy or consulate near you for the complete list of requirements.

  21. Hi…please advise. For the initial O visa, i must show a minimum of 100k baht in my account in thailand for two months? some places i have read only for 1 year others read 400k to get O. Please confirm thanks

    1. The financial requirement depends on what type of Non Immigrant O Visa you are applying for. For more information, kindly contact the Thai embassy or consulate near you​.

  22. Good day. Can I re-new my family O visa whilst I am in Thailand? My current family O visa finishes in July and I would like to re-new without having to go to another country.

    1. If you are able to meet the requirements, you can apply for a 1 year extension of your current O visa at a local immigration office. Otherwise, you will have to apply at a Thai embassy or consulate outside of Thailand.

  23. I (Indian) am working in Thailand with valid work permit (valid till DEC 16) and my wife is with me with a category O dependent visa (validity 90 days). How can I extend her visa validity same as my work permit?

    1. ​Your wife can only apply for a visa extension based on your visa. So if you apply for a visa extension, she can also apply for an extension for the same duration as your visa.

  24. Hello, I would like to apply for marriage visa, I possess all documents except monthly income. Can marriage visa be process if no income, but have 400,000 on account.
    Thank you

    1. Yes, you may only meet one of the financial requirements. If you already have the 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account, you may apply for a visa extension based on marriage.

  25. Hi,

    I have non b and teach, my wife has non o visa. We both are not Thai nationals. What kind of documents will be required to extend her visa which is gonna finished in August?

  26. I would like to know if I still need to go to immigration every 90 days if I get 1 year marriage visa? Is there a difference if a foreign woman marry to Thai man?

    1. There is no difference on the requirement for male and female foreigners who marry Thai nationals. If you obtained your 1-year visa inside Thailand, you will need to report to immigration every 90 days.

  27. I have a Non Immigrant Type O Spouse Visa Multi Entry just recently obtained in Singapore valid until June 2017. Can I extend this visa from within Thailand next year (we live in Chiang-Mai) without having to leave the country? Finances are not an issue and we have a house; or do I have to arrange again outside the country?

    1. It depends if you are able to satisfy the requirements of immigration at the time of your application. You may contact the immigration office in Chiang Mai for further assistance regarding your inquiry.

      Address: 71 Moo 3
      Tambol Suthep
      Amphoe Mueang
      Changwat Chiang Mai 50200
      Tel: 0-5320-1755-6

  28. Hi,
    I got o/a visa retirement since few years, as I am now married, I would like to get mariage visa. My actual visa finished on 31 Dec. What is exact process and at what time do I need to engage the process? We living in Huahin.


    1. You will first need to obtain a 90-day Non Immigrant “O” visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country based on marriage. Then upon entry into Thailand, you must meet the financial requirements as stated below.

      • Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
      • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner​’s​ embassy ​in Thailand ​has to be shown to verify this income

      Once you have met the requirements, you can proceed with applying for the 1-year extension based on marriage at the immigration office in Hua Hin during the last 30 days or your 90-day Non Immigrant “O” visa.

  29. Yes do I need to register my marriage first in Thailand with my wife and then applied my marriage visa in my country Malaysia. I am 64 years old now so what is the best way advice from you sir? Thanks you

    1. If you are already married to a Thai national and it is legally recognized in Thailand, you may apply for a 90-day Non Immigrant O visa based on your marriage. You can then apply for an extension of the 90-day visa to a 1-year Marriage visa as long as you have met the requirements for the 1-year Marriage visa.

  30. Hi, I am married to a Thai national. I work in the oil and gas industry (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia). I usually come in and out of Thailand 5-6 times a year depending on my work load. I do not have a permanent residence in any of the countries listed. What visa would be best for myself to be able to have permanent residence in Thailand? We own some properties in both of our names.

    1. ​First, you may apply for a 90-day Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage and then convert this to a 1-year marriage visa. Once you have applied for 3 consecutive years of visa extensions on the marriage visa, you can then apply for permanent residence for Thailand.

  31. I’m married to a Thai lady and live in Thailand. Regarding finance, can the 400,000 baht I need be a combination of bank and income moneys?

    1. Using a combination of money in a Thai bank account and monthly income will depend on the immigration office where you will apply for the 1-year marriage visa. Please get in touch with the immigration office that has jurisdiction in your province to confirm if this is possible.

  32. I’m Married to Thai lady in 2008 and I have been working in Bangkok all these years and extending my marriage visa every year with proof of monthly income and work permit in Thailand. But my assignment was finished in a Thai company last June this year and I no longer get income in Thailand. At the moment I am having monthly income in India equal to just over 40,000 THB. My visa expires on December 12th and I don’t have 400,000 THB in Thai account. In this case, how can I extend my visa?

    1. If you are able to meet the requirement of 40,000THB monthly income from your home country, you must obtain an income affidavit from your embassy in Thailand that will support this. Kindly contact your embassy for the requirements and procedures in obtaining the income affidavit.

  33. I just wonder, that such a recommended Law Company is NOT able to provide correct Informations about a Marriage Visa!
    I have postet this Conversation here in the Thaivisa Forum – a Gloab Moderator just stated this about your given Informations:
    ……Just wrong and misleading info. That site is full of it…..
    How dare you?

    1. Hi Martin,

      First of all, this page is not about Permanent Residency in Thailand. It talks about Marriage Visa, what are the requirements and how to get one. There are many ways to get permanent residency in Thailand. One of the readers was asking about what would be the best Thai visa for him given that he is married to a Thai national. We didn’t say that this is the only way to get a permanent residency in Thailand.

      We agree that there is no such thing as marriage visa, but for the sake of SEO, we used such term as many were using the term “marriage visa” when searching for information of what is actually a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai marriage.

      Again, this page is all about marriage visa or 1 year extension of stay based on marriage and not about permanent residency.

  34. Due the current situation I don’t want to return to my home country to renew my marriage visa. How would I renew in Bangkok?

    1. You can renew or extend your non immigrant O visa at the Chaengwattana Immigration Office. You need the proof of marriage, proof of 400,000 Thai baht funds in your bank account. It is highly recommended for you to check with the local immigration office for the additional requirements since every city or province may have different rules and regulations.

  35. i married my thai wife in canada 1992, in 2008 we came to live in thaiand, on a 1 year visa, as i like to change it to a retirement visa, the officer in ayuthaya t me, it easier to do a retirement visa, now i like to change it to an marriage o visa, i have 400 000 baht in my bank account, plus a pension from canada, 360 000 baht a year, plus a savings account of about 2 500 000 baht, how easy is it to change to an o visa, i ask 4 companys in pattaya, sorry we can not help you, we are married now for 28 years, we live in singburi since november 2008, i am 70 years old

    1. The problem here is that every city or province will have their own rules on how to change the visa. In your case, the statement of Ayuttaya or Pattaya Immigration Officers will not matter. What will matter to you is the statement of the Immigration Officer in Singburi province.

  36. Hello….if i want get married in thailand and i want stay there for a period of 2 months to which visa can i apply and what paers do i need…i am romanian citizen and i am a seaman…is a letter of reference is enought to prove my nonthly income if i dont have a thai bank account?

    1. You have 2 issues here. First issue is to stay for 2 months, this inquiry requires for you to apply for the 60-day tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Bucharest. Second issue is the legal marriage. You can come to Thailand on your 60-day tourist visa and plan to get married. However you do not have an embassy in Bangkok so getting married will be difficult.

  37. I am married to a Thai woman but I do not have 400,000 bath in my bank account. However I do have a monthly income of 59,000 bath. will this be enough for me to apply for a 1 year extension on my marriage visa?

    1. Yes, you are able to use this income for a marriage visa application, only if your embassy will provide an income letter. If the embassy does not issue the letter, you must have 400,000 Thai baht in a Thai bank account.

  38. Hello There me and my wife are an Australian citizen and my wife is Thai Nationality has Thai passport as well of course an Australian passport. She is 42 years old I’m 48 years old and both wanna go and live in Thailand, do we need to have 400,000 baht in account? Can I Stay there and have a long visa? Thank you.

    1. If your wife will come to Thailand under a Thai passport, you, as the spouse will be able to apply for a marriage visa. The process starts by applying for a non immigrant O visa in Australia prior to coming to Thailand. Once you arrive in Thailand, you will open a bank account and deposit 400,000 Thai baht. Once the funds seasoned for 2 months, it is now possible to apply for the 1 year marriage visa.

  39. Hi I am from pakistan I have non o visa 90 days I have thai wife but I don’t have 400000 baht in account because of covid 19 no.have work we use capital me and my wife work together how can apply 1 year visa please advice me

    1. If you do not have 400,000 Thai baht, you cannot apply for the 1 year marriage visa. However, you can go to the local immigration office and request for the temporary 60-day extension which you can use until the flights are allowed in May 2020.

  40. I am from Bangladesh, already I travel Thailand 6 times. My Thai girlfriend will come Bangladesh for marry. After O’ visa take I will go Thailand and then I will apply O’ visa 1 year.
    My question, after O’ 1 year visa I can apply Japan, Korea or Europe countries with my wife? I will show 400,000 baht at bank.

    1. Yes, after you have a long term visa for Thailand, you can apply for foreign visas in Bangkok.

  41. Hi There
    Just a question about o visa or marriage visa if I want to stay in Thailand. So why do we need to leave 400,000 baht in bank? What this money for? And can use it? I feel this money just dead money setting in the bank for who? So if someone past away (die) where is money go? So why we putting money and sets in the bank plus we can’t use or touch.

    Can you please explain that to me? Thank you so much for that.


    1. The 400,000 THB is savings that you can use for 6 to 9 months in a year to support yourself and your wife.

  42. I recently went for an extension on my marriage visa and was made to get a 60 day visa because I withdraw too much
    in Feb even though I over 200000 bath in my account and had 441000 in my account that very day.They seemed more worried the 40000 baht requirement than the fact of400000 baht being in my account

    1. Dear Mike,
      If at the time your 60-day extension expires, the funds have seasoned for 2 or 3 months, you may try to apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage.

  43. Hi!I’m Nancy.I’m married a thai man.I’m holding a husband visa.I had registration book yellow colour and ID card pink colour.i have 1 child.can i apply a permanent resident?i don’t have monthly income.please reply.thanks.

    1. Dear Nancy,
      If you have renewed your marriage visa for more than 3 years successively, yes, you can qualify for the PR application. Where do you renew your visa, which immigration office?

  44. Hello,
    My wife is a Thai citizen, I am American. We have been married for 4 1/2 years (we got married in Thailand back in 2015) and currently reside in the US. (She has US green card but still Thai citizen) If we decided we wanted to move to Thailand, what would be the steps we would need to take in order for me to work and live in Thailand with her?

    1. Dear Eric,
      There are 2 issues here: the visa for you to stay in Thailand and the work permit that would allow you to work in Thailand.
      So, for the visa, you can do the Thai Marriage Visa Route. This would start by applying for the non-immigrant O visa in the US and then converting it into a Marriage Visa in Thailand as long as you have a funds of 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account. This visa is a visa of your own as long as you remain married to your wife. This visa will not affect any future employment in Thailand. Once you have this marriage visa, you can then proceed to getting a work permit as long as there is a company that will sponsor this permit at the Labour Office. You have a choice to set up your own company and work under this company or you will be employed by a Thai company. please note that your marriage visa is enough to get a work permit and there is no requirement to change to Non immigrant B visa. You may check our company’s service through this page:

  45. I may be outside Thailand when my one year Visa extension (based on marriage) comes up for renewal.
    Can it be renewed in UK or do I need to start from scratch with a new 90 day O visa.

    1. Dear Paul,
      At the moment the Thai immigration has not issued any guideline regarding foreigners in the same situation as yours. It is safe to assume that you will have to start from scratch. This means you will obtain a new 90-day non-immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your country and then use this visa to enter Thailand. Once you arrive in Thailand, you will convert it to a marriage visa 2 months after arrival.
      Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *