Marriage Visa for Thailand

Thailand Marriage Visa

Foreigners who are legally married to a Thai national may apply for a Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Thailand.

You can apply to live in Thailand long term if you are married to a Thai or if you have a Thai child or children. The marriage visa for Thailand is issued at a Thai Embassy in your home country and it is normally issued as a single entry visa and valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand.

These are the documents need to start the process and will get you a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. certain embassies want to see at least 100,000 THB in a Thai bank account to issue you with a multiple entry “O” visa or marriage visa. These do vary from embassy to embassy. Once you enter Thailand you have 90 days to extend this visa for 1 year and this process normally takes 3-4 weeks to complete. They will need the following documents for the extension for the visa.

  • Copy of your passport;
  • Copy of your Thai marriage certificate (both versions);
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card;
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Papers)
  • Copy of a map to your residence in Thailand;
  • Copy of photos showing you and your wife together;
  • Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in your bank account;or
  • Copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income

As stated the process takes about 3 weeks and you would need to ensure once it is issued that you obtain a re-entry permit to ensure that when you leave Thailand and return that you do not invalidate the extended visa. With this extended visa you do not need to leave Thailand every 3 months to activate another leg of your visa. You only need to report your home address to Thai immigration every 90 days.

The process can be difficult so it is always best to speak to a lawyer in Thailand who can assist you with the extension process and the visa application. Speak to us online or in-person in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, or in Isaan.

Immigration Specialist

Need help with your application?

Schedule a free 30-minute consultation on starting your Thai Visa application in Thailand.

Yord Satesri, Immigration Specialist

Schedule a Consultation

110 thoughts on “Marriage Visa for Thailand

  1. I went to Immigration with my Bank Book from Bankbook Bank that showed I had at least 120,000/mo deposited in my account, and they told me that I had to have 400,000THB in the bank AND have more than 46,000/mo deposited. Also, the 400k needed to be in the bank for 3 months. I waited for 5 hours for an agent to tell me this. On my way out I ran into a guy who said he could help me for 25,000THB, guaranteed Non-I (O) VISA. The next day I met him at Immigration, gave him the money, he went to MY bank, got a paper run out of my account, deposited 400,000k in to my bank, got another print out, I pulled the money back out and gave it back to him, we walked to Immigration, went directly to the same desk of the officer who seen me the day before, we sat down, I signed a form, they took my passport and returned it to me about 15 min later with the VISA. What did I do wrong that he did that was correct? Other than the fact that he and the officer obviously knew each other personally…

    1. Dear Julius,
      Good day.
      the REGULATION of Immigration, you must have a 400,000THB deposit for 3 months to a Thai bank account before you can get the visa, if not, then you can pay some people extra to get the money complete.
      Warn you that something like this may be illegal. Maybe next year you cannot renew normally and your visa will be canceled because if that guy just gives 400,000 to your bank, maybe next year when your renew immigration officer (another officer) will check your record and will see you do something. So it’s dangerous.
      Thank you.

  2. Dear Yord,
    Could you tell me please, I have been married 18 years to my Thai wife, we got married in the UK is the wedding certificate recognized in Thailand so I can apply for a marriage visa. I have an O non-immigrant visa
    Thank you.

    1. Dear Andrew Greenfield,

      Good day.

      Yes, but make sure your marriage is registered at the Thai Embassy in the UK, if you did not register a marriage at the Thai Embassy you need to register it first or can register in Thailand also.
      This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate (Kor Ror 3) and Marriage Registration (Kor Ror 2). If the applicant got married abroad, the applicant or the Thai spouse must report the marriage to the Amphur (District) and obtain Kor Ror 22.

      Must meet the financial requirement
      -Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
      -Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreign embassy has to be shown to verify this income.

      For more information :

      Thank you.

  3. I am on a tourist visa for the last 6 months and I married a Thai Jan 2020, my tourist visa got extended month after month due to COVID preventing me to fly out. Since I would like to get back to work (remain in Thailand on WFH model), can I obtain a work permit within Thailand? If can, do I have to convert my current tourist visa to the Non-immigrant O visa first? How long will the process take, I am now in Bangkok, holding Australian passport.

    1. Dear Chi He,
      Good day.
      Yes, you must convert your visa to Non-immigrant O first and after that get a WORK PERMIT. Make sure you have the marriage certificate first and the company that will hire you can prepare the document to get a work permit.
      So you have two options, get NON-B by the company or you can get NON-O under marriage to Thai and get a work permit. Both visas can get work permits.
      Thank you.

Leave a Reply