Marriage Visa for Thailand

Thailand Marriage Visa

Foreigners who are legally married to a Thai national may apply for a Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Thailand.

You can apply to live in Thailand long term if you are married to a Thai or if you have a Thai child or children. The marriage visa for Thailand is issued at a Thai Embassy in your home country and it is normally issued as a single entry visa and valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand.

These are the documents need to start the process and will get you a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. certain embassies want to see at least 100,000 THB in a Thai bank account to issue you with a multiple entry “O” visa or marriage visa. These do vary from embassy to embassy. Once you enter Thailand you have 90 days to extend this visa for 1 year and this process normally takes 3-4 weeks to complete. They will need the following documents for the extension for the visa.

  • Copy of your passport;
  • Copy of your Thai marriage certificate (both versions);
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card;
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Papers)
  • Copy of a map to your residence in Thailand;
  • Copy of photos showing you and your wife together;
  • Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in your bank account;or
  • Copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income

As stated the process takes about 3 weeks and you would need to ensure once it is issued that you obtain a re-entry permit to ensure that when you leave Thailand and return that you do not invalidate the extended visa. With this extended visa you do not need to leave Thailand every 3 months to activate another leg of your visa. You only need to report your home address to Thai immigration every 90 days.

The process can be difficult so it is always best to speak to a lawyer in Thailand who can assist you with the extension process and the visa application. Speak to us online or in-person in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai, or in Isaan.

Immigration Specialist

Need help with your application?

Schedule a free 30-minute consultation on starting your Thai Visa application in Thailand.

Yord Satesri, Immigration Specialist

Schedule a Consultation

110 thoughts on “Marriage Visa for Thailand

  1. Hi there, I understand I can go to Thailand for 30 days and then get an extension for 60 days, is the it then possible to leave Thailand within 90 days and go to a neighboring country, Malaysia, Vietnam, etc for say just a couple of weeks then return to Thailand for another 90 days, if possible? I have a Thai girlfriend I have known for over 3 years and always stay with her when I travel. Thanks

    1. Dear Gary,

      Good day.
      If your visa is a one-year non-immigrant visa with multiple entries issued outside Thailand, yes, you can exit Thailand and re-enter after few weeks. Please note that when you re-enter, you must apply for COE, buy an insurance policy, and do the quarantine as well.

      Thank you.

  2. Hi all,

    Can somebody please explain to me, everybody keeps repeating deposit of 400000 baht in Thai bank to process ones marriage visa. But how are you to deposit to a Thai bank account , when you cant even open a bank account without a visa. And I believe from a common sense one has to be in Thailand to open a bank account.

    1. Hi Tok,

      Yes, I understand your concern. Usually applicants who are holding a 90-day Non Immigrant O visa will be allowed to open a account. In case that the person does not have a non-immigrant O visa, you are able to open a bank account as long as you have a long term lease agreement or a reference letter from your embassy in Bangkok. You may also retain a service of a company such as Siam Legal to assist you with the opening of a bank account.

  3. I may be outside Thailand when my one year Visa extension (based on marriage) comes up for renewal.
    Can it be renewed in UK or do I need to start from scratch with a new 90 day O visa.

    1. Dear Paul,
      At the moment the Thai immigration has not issued any guideline regarding foreigners in the same situation as yours. It is safe to assume that you will have to start from scratch. This means you will obtain a new 90-day non-immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your country and then use this visa to enter Thailand. Once you arrive in Thailand, you will convert it to a marriage visa 2 months after arrival.
      Thank you.

  4. Hello,
    My wife is a Thai citizen, I am American. We have been married for 4 1/2 years (we got married in Thailand back in 2015) and currently reside in the US. (She has US green card but still Thai citizen) If we decided we wanted to move to Thailand, what would be the steps we would need to take in order for me to work and live in Thailand with her?

    1. Dear Eric,
      There are 2 issues here: the visa for you to stay in Thailand and the work permit that would allow you to work in Thailand.
      So, for the visa, you can do the Thai Marriage Visa Route. This would start by applying for the non-immigrant O visa in the US and then converting it into a Marriage Visa in Thailand as long as you have a funds of 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account. This visa is a visa of your own as long as you remain married to your wife. This visa will not affect any future employment in Thailand. Once you have this marriage visa, you can then proceed to getting a work permit as long as there is a company that will sponsor this permit at the Labour Office. You have a choice to set up your own company and work under this company or you will be employed by a Thai company. please note that your marriage visa is enough to get a work permit and there is no requirement to change to Non immigrant B visa. You may check our company’s service through this page:

  5. Hi!I’m Nancy.I’m married a thai man.I’m holding a husband visa.I had registration book yellow colour and ID card pink colour.i have 1 child.can i apply a permanent resident?i don’t have monthly income.please reply.thanks.

    1. Dear Nancy,
      If you have renewed your marriage visa for more than 3 years successively, yes, you can qualify for the PR application. Where do you renew your visa, which immigration office?

  6. I recently went for an extension on my marriage visa and was made to get a 60 day visa because I withdraw too much
    in Feb even though I over 200000 bath in my account and had 441000 in my account that very day.They seemed more worried the 40000 baht requirement than the fact of400000 baht being in my account

    1. Dear Mike,
      If at the time your 60-day extension expires, the funds have seasoned for 2 or 3 months, you may try to apply for the 1 year extension based on marriage.

  7. Hi There
    Just a question about o visa or marriage visa if I want to stay in Thailand. So why do we need to leave 400,000 baht in bank? What this money for? And can use it? I feel this money just dead money setting in the bank for who? So if someone past away (die) where is money go? So why we putting money and sets in the bank plus we can’t use or touch.

    Can you please explain that to me? Thank you so much for that.


    1. The 400,000 THB is savings that you can use for 6 to 9 months in a year to support yourself and your wife.

  8. I am from Bangladesh, already I travel Thailand 6 times. My Thai girlfriend will come Bangladesh for marry. After O’ visa take I will go Thailand and then I will apply O’ visa 1 year.
    My question, after O’ 1 year visa I can apply Japan, Korea or Europe countries with my wife? I will show 400,000 baht at bank.

    1. Yes, after you have a long term visa for Thailand, you can apply for foreign visas in Bangkok.

  9. Hi I am from pakistan I have non o visa 90 days I have thai wife but I don’t have 400000 baht in account because of covid 19 no.have work we use capital me and my wife work together how can apply 1 year visa please advice me

    1. If you do not have 400,000 Thai baht, you cannot apply for the 1 year marriage visa. However, you can go to the local immigration office and request for the temporary 60-day extension which you can use until the flights are allowed in May 2020.

  10. Hello There me and my wife are an Australian citizen and my wife is Thai Nationality has Thai passport as well of course an Australian passport. She is 42 years old I’m 48 years old and both wanna go and live in Thailand, do we need to have 400,000 baht in account? Can I Stay there and have a long visa? Thank you.

    1. If your wife will come to Thailand under a Thai passport, you, as the spouse will be able to apply for a marriage visa. The process starts by applying for a non immigrant O visa in Australia prior to coming to Thailand. Once you arrive in Thailand, you will open a bank account and deposit 400,000 Thai baht. Once the funds seasoned for 2 months, it is now possible to apply for the 1 year marriage visa.

  11. I am married to a Thai woman but I do not have 400,000 bath in my bank account. However I do have a monthly income of 59,000 bath. will this be enough for me to apply for a 1 year extension on my marriage visa?

    1. Yes, you are able to use this income for a marriage visa application, only if your embassy will provide an income letter. If the embassy does not issue the letter, you must have 400,000 Thai baht in a Thai bank account.

  12. Hello….if i want get married in thailand and i want stay there for a period of 2 months to which visa can i apply and what paers do i need…i am romanian citizen and i am a seaman…is a letter of reference is enought to prove my nonthly income if i dont have a thai bank account?

    1. You have 2 issues here. First issue is to stay for 2 months, this inquiry requires for you to apply for the 60-day tourist visa from the Thai embassy in Bucharest. Second issue is the legal marriage. You can come to Thailand on your 60-day tourist visa and plan to get married. However you do not have an embassy in Bangkok so getting married will be difficult.

  13. i married my thai wife in canada 1992, in 2008 we came to live in thaiand, on a 1 year visa, as i like to change it to a retirement visa, the officer in ayuthaya t me, it easier to do a retirement visa, now i like to change it to an marriage o visa, i have 400 000 baht in my bank account, plus a pension from canada, 360 000 baht a year, plus a savings account of about 2 500 000 baht, how easy is it to change to an o visa, i ask 4 companys in pattaya, sorry we can not help you, we are married now for 28 years, we live in singburi since november 2008, i am 70 years old

    1. The problem here is that every city or province will have their own rules on how to change the visa. In your case, the statement of Ayuttaya or Pattaya Immigration Officers will not matter. What will matter to you is the statement of the Immigration Officer in Singburi province.

  14. Due the current situation I don’t want to return to my home country to renew my marriage visa. How would I renew in Bangkok?

    1. You can renew or extend your non immigrant O visa at the Chaengwattana Immigration Office. You need the proof of marriage, proof of 400,000 Thai baht funds in your bank account. It is highly recommended for you to check with the local immigration office for the additional requirements since every city or province may have different rules and regulations.

  15. I just wonder, that such a recommended Law Company is NOT able to provide correct Informations about a Marriage Visa!
    I have postet this Conversation here in the Thaivisa Forum – a Gloab Moderator just stated this about your given Informations:
    ……Just wrong and misleading info. That site is full of it…..
    How dare you?

    1. Hi Martin,

      First of all, this page is not about Permanent Residency in Thailand. It talks about Marriage Visa, what are the requirements and how to get one. There are many ways to get permanent residency in Thailand. One of the readers was asking about what would be the best Thai visa for him given that he is married to a Thai national. We didn’t say that this is the only way to get a permanent residency in Thailand.

      We agree that there is no such thing as marriage visa, but for the sake of SEO, we used such term as many were using the term “marriage visa” when searching for information of what is actually a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai marriage.

      Again, this page is all about marriage visa or 1 year extension of stay based on marriage and not about permanent residency.

  16. I’m Married to Thai lady in 2008 and I have been working in Bangkok all these years and extending my marriage visa every year with proof of monthly income and work permit in Thailand. But my assignment was finished in a Thai company last June this year and I no longer get income in Thailand. At the moment I am having monthly income in India equal to just over 40,000 THB. My visa expires on December 12th and I don’t have 400,000 THB in Thai account. In this case, how can I extend my visa?

    1. If you are able to meet the requirement of 40,000THB monthly income from your home country, you must obtain an income affidavit from your embassy in Thailand that will support this. Kindly contact your embassy for the requirements and procedures in obtaining the income affidavit.

  17. I’m married to a Thai lady and live in Thailand. Regarding finance, can the 400,000 baht I need be a combination of bank and income moneys?

    1. Using a combination of money in a Thai bank account and monthly income will depend on the immigration office where you will apply for the 1-year marriage visa. Please get in touch with the immigration office that has jurisdiction in your province to confirm if this is possible.

  18. Hi, I am married to a Thai national. I work in the oil and gas industry (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia). I usually come in and out of Thailand 5-6 times a year depending on my work load. I do not have a permanent residence in any of the countries listed. What visa would be best for myself to be able to have permanent residence in Thailand? We own some properties in both of our names.

    1. ​First, you may apply for a 90-day Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage and then convert this to a 1-year marriage visa. Once you have applied for 3 consecutive years of visa extensions on the marriage visa, you can then apply for permanent residence for Thailand.

  19. Yes do I need to register my marriage first in Thailand with my wife and then applied my marriage visa in my country Malaysia. I am 64 years old now so what is the best way advice from you sir? Thanks you

    1. If you are already married to a Thai national and it is legally recognized in Thailand, you may apply for a 90-day Non Immigrant O visa based on your marriage. You can then apply for an extension of the 90-day visa to a 1-year Marriage visa as long as you have met the requirements for the 1-year Marriage visa.

  20. Hi,
    I got o/a visa retirement since few years, as I am now married, I would like to get mariage visa. My actual visa finished on 31 Dec. What is exact process and at what time do I need to engage the process? We living in Huahin.


    1. You will first need to obtain a 90-day Non Immigrant “O” visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country based on marriage. Then upon entry into Thailand, you must meet the financial requirements as stated below.

      • Security deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application; or
      • Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner​’s​ embassy ​in Thailand ​has to be shown to verify this income

      Once you have met the requirements, you can proceed with applying for the 1-year extension based on marriage at the immigration office in Hua Hin during the last 30 days or your 90-day Non Immigrant “O” visa.

  21. I have a Non Immigrant Type O Spouse Visa Multi Entry just recently obtained in Singapore valid until June 2017. Can I extend this visa from within Thailand next year (we live in Chiang-Mai) without having to leave the country? Finances are not an issue and we have a house; or do I have to arrange again outside the country?

    1. It depends if you are able to satisfy the requirements of immigration at the time of your application. You may contact the immigration office in Chiang Mai for further assistance regarding your inquiry.

      Address: 71 Moo 3
      Tambol Suthep
      Amphoe Mueang
      Changwat Chiang Mai 50200
      Tel: 0-5320-1755-6
      Email; [email protected]

  22. I would like to know if I still need to go to immigration every 90 days if I get 1 year marriage visa? Is there a difference if a foreign woman marry to Thai man?

    1. There is no difference on the requirement for male and female foreigners who marry Thai nationals. If you obtained your 1-year visa inside Thailand, you will need to report to immigration every 90 days.

  23. Hi,

    I have non b and teach, my wife has non o visa. We both are not Thai nationals. What kind of documents will be required to extend her visa which is gonna finished in August?

  24. Hello, I would like to apply for marriage visa, I possess all documents except monthly income. Can marriage visa be process if no income, but have 400,000 on account.
    Thank you

    1. Yes, you may only meet one of the financial requirements. If you already have the 400,000 THB in a Thai bank account, you may apply for a visa extension based on marriage.

Leave a Reply