Thai Immigration – Bangkok

Embassy of Thailand

Immigration procedures are not consistent for all the provinces across Thailand. Each immigration office will implement government policies in their own way which creates varying applications processes among the different cities and provinces. Thai immigration requires that foreigners do the process their visa in the city where their address of residence is located.

If you are living in Bangkok and you wish to apply for a visa extension based on marriage, retirement, business or other categories, then you will need to go to any of the immigration offices in Bangkok (see table below for information on the addresses).

You may also contact our firm for assistance with your immigration and visa concerns. We offer a wide array of Thai immigration services in addition to other legal matters such as family law, property purchases, and litigation.

City/Province Office Contact Details
Bangkok Bangkok Chaeng Watthana Immigration Office Government Center (B), No. 120 Mu 3, Chaeng Watthana Soi 7, Thung Song Hong, Laksi, Bangkok 10210
Bangkok BOI One-Stop Service Center Chamchuri Square, Floor 18, 319 Phaya Thai Rd., Patumwan, Bangkok 10330
Bangkok Imperial World Lat Phrao Immigration Service Centre Imperial World Lat Phrao, 5th Floor, Lat Phrao Road
Bangkok Major Hollywood Suksawat Immigration Service Centre Major Hollywood Suksawat, 1st Floor, Suksawat Road, Rat Burana, Bangkok 10140


160 thoughts on “Thai Immigration – Bangkok

  1. Thank you so much for the answer.
    Can I clarify following statement if that means that if my child wants to play a tournament in Thailand, she/he needs to stay at the hotel for 14 days before playing?
    “The applicant must agree to undergo 14-day quarantine in a quarantine hotel accredited by the Thai government”

    1. Yes. All Thais and Foreigners from abroad must do 14-day quarantine.

  2. Hello,
    Could you let me know current and near future status of immigration in Bangkok for foreigners to enter Thailand as tourist visa, please?

    1. Dear Fritz,
      Good day. Please see my comments below:
      -Starting October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2021 Thailand will allow limited numbers of long stay foreign tourists under the Special Tourist Visa (STV) Program. The visa is valid for 90 days which can be extended for another two 90-day extensions. This long stay visa is open to foreign nationals travelling from countries with low or no COVID-19 local transmission.
      -The applicant must agree to undergo 14-day quarantine in a quarantine hotel accredited by the Thai government and the applicant must also provide COVID-19 health insurance covering the first 3 months of stay.
      -The applicant must apply for the visa and certificate of entry prior to traveling to Thailand. The Thai Embassy will be the one to arrange the flight to Thailand so it is recommended not to book any commercial flight.
      -Applicant must also provide a negative result of a COVID-19 PCR test issued within 72 hours before the flight.
      Those who are qualified, must get in touch with the local Thai Embassy in their current location for more information.
      Thank you.

  3. Hi my Thai girl friend is leaving Thailand on October 14th to visit UK for 6 months…my question is does she have to get a Covid-19 test before she can pass through immigration at Thailand airport?

    1. Dear Rob,
      There is no health requirements at the Bangkok Airport aside from the usual temperate scanning. However, for the entry requirements of the UK, you need to check with her airline if there is any special requirements.
      Thank you.

  4. Good day,
    I missed my 90-day reporting last August 4. I just want to know since it’s already august 31st, will I be fined the 2000 baht, or is still part of the amnesty until Sept 26?

    1. Dear Paul,
      Yes, any reporting that is made after August 31, you will have a penalty for late reporting. The fee is 2,000 THB.
      Thank you.

  5. I have Elite Visa allow to stay 90 days and already expire on 5th June.due to lockdown and closed Airport in Bangkok and my country could not back.And as per Royal Thai Govt. automatically extension till July 30,Due to lockdown in country may can not fly back,And I am doing treatment in Bangkok and Hospital issue letter saying I have to stay more 2 Month.
    I need your suggestion how can I get extension of VISA .

    1. The best thing to do for now is ask the Thai Elite office about the 6 months extension that they offer to members. I have something about it online.

  6. Hi sir
    According to the new rules of immigration The Who have Thailand work permit and have gone out of Thailand due to covid 19 couldn’t come to Thailand and their’s visa expired now they can enter Thailand with a certificate from Thai embassy with the valid visa so I m in Thailand right now and my family visa expired and they r out of Thailand so if u kindly reply me ca I get certificate from bkk to bring my family to Thailand and my family has non o visa

    1. At the moment, you may apply for the Certificate of Entry to Thailand from the Thai Embassy in your location. You need to get a new non-immigrant B visa and your valid work permit. if your work permit is no longer valid, you need to ask your employer to get you the WP3 letter from Labour Office. You will need this WP3 letter to get a new non immigrant B visa and obtain the certificate of entry as well. Thank you.

  7. Dear Sir/Madam,
    I live in Thailand on a retirement visa which now requires the 90 day registration (TM47) which I have received many times before however, this time, especially in view of the Corona Virus, I thought I would do it electronically. So, I downloaded the IOS APP registered and then filled out the form accordingly but even after multiple attempts I get the same message regarding ‘time out’ etc etc . Can you please advise me how to proceed? Many thanks in advance.

  8. Hi,

    I am a Nigerian PhD student at King Mongkut’s University of Technology Thonburi in Bangkok. I left Bangkok in December 2019 for a research visit abroad, with hope to come back on 17th May 2020. I am currently in Saudi Arabia but my wife and kids are still in Bangkok.

    Our visas are expiring on 19th of June 2020. I heard that Thailand Government has extended our visas automatically up to July 31st, 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. I want to confirm if this is true.

    I want to know for how long I need to comeback when Thailand relaxes the restriction on international flights in July.

    I also want to confirm if we still need to do “cancellation of visa” before we finally leave Thailand as I have already passed my PhD examination.

    I would be glad to hear back from you.

    Best regards,

    1. The visa amnesty or the automatic extension of visas is only applicable if you are in Thailand stranded due to travel restrictions. However, if you have a valid Thai visa and you are unable to re-enter Thailand, right now, the Thai government has not issued any amnesty for that matter just yet. We have to wait if there will be any kind of consideration to that situation.
      Thank you.

  9. Hallo, we have some questions. We came to thailand at 26th of february 2020 and extend our stay to the 24th of april. Now we cant leave the country because the boarders are closed. Is it possible to extend our visa again and stay for another month in Thailand? and is it possible to do it online?
    thank you in advance.

    1. You can avail the automatic extension of visa until April 30 and hope that the immigration office will extend the visa amnesty until end of May 2020.

  10. Hi, Officer. I am Singapore citizen and my 1 month tourist visa is about to expire soon. May i know what i have to prepare to get visa extend for another 30 days. Are the following documents sufficient? Thanks.
    passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 departure card, TM30 receipt from your hotel

    1. You have an option to avail the visa amnesty or automatic extension allowing you to stay until April 30. You do not need to make visa application and you do not need to visit the immigration office.

  11. May I ask if we are a group of 4 Australian arrive in Bangkok airport on transit flight in a few hours on the 24th of Mar 2020.
    Do we have to present a medical certificate?

    1. No. Medical certificate is not required for international transit passengers.

  12. Good morning,
    we are an Italian family currently in Myanmar. Our visa expires next week and we were planning to come to Thailand through Mae Sot border.
    How can we do to obtain the visa? The visa on arrival is not available anymore?
    Which documents do you need?
    Let me know. We need a normal 30 days visa.
    Thanks a lot,
    Claudia Garito

    1. You are not able to get the visa exemption, therefore you need to visit Thai embassy in Yangon to obtain a tourist visa for Thailand.

  13. My son (4 years old) and I are British citizens. We have non-imm O visas (3+ million baht investment) as I bought my condo in Bangkok in 2005. My son was born in Thailand and we lived in my condo. Unfortunately, last year we had to move back to England as my son needed to see doctors and therapists and he was diagnosed with autism. He now attends pre-school in England and sees therapists, speech therapists and doctors weekly.

    We wish to keep and renew our visas as I still own my condo and we hope to live in Thailand again in the future.

    Our visas need to be renewed (Extension of temporary stay TM7 and Re-entry permit TM8) by 6th May 2017, however we will not be able to be in Thailand at that time. We will be in Bangkok for a short holiday in January.

    Is it possible to renew our visas in advance in January?

    1. The earliest possible time to renew the visa is 45 days before the expiry date.

  14. I have moved from Chon Buri to Udon Thani and need to change address and obtain my new 90 days on my retirement visa. Is there a fee for this?

    1. It is free of charge to inform that officer or local immigration office for the change of address.

  15. I am a Portuguese citizen and would like to visit Bangkok in February 2017 for 10 days. Kindly inform me whether I require a Tourist Visa for visiting Thailand.

    1. You definitely do not need a visa to enter Thailand. You are visa exempted and you can stay up to 30 days without a visa. You just need to show proof of funds, accommodation, onward flight or travel (to other countries or to home country) and passport valid for at least 6 months. It is free of charge.

  16. Dear Team,

    If I want to travel from Bangkok only for changing the flight, then, do I need a Thai visa or not? I’m travelling from Mumbai to Yangon via Bangkok. The flight layover time is 2-4 hours which means I’ll be staying in Bangkok, Thailand airport for only 2-4 hrs.

    Please advise accordingly.

    1. If the airlines that will take you from Bangkok to Yangon will codeshare with the airlines from Mumbai to Bangkok, then you will no longer need to apply for a transit visa. However, if the flights were booked separately and you will be required to pass through immigration to get to your next flight, then you need to get a transit visa.

      Kindly confirm this with your airlines.

  17. Hello,

    I am from India on a 15 day tourist visa on arrival in Thailand. I want to extend my stay in Thailand for 1 more month as I have friends from Europe who are traveling for 2 months. Is it possible to extend visa while in Thailand?

    1. The visa on arrival cannot be extended. If you wish to stay for a longer duration, you can either apply for a tourist visa at the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country, or you can exit Thailand before the end of the 15-day stamp. You can then re-enter and apply for another visa on arrival.​

  18. I have a Laos Passport. I am in Thailand on a work permit and a Visa to stay until 17 February 2017. Shortly, I would like to make a one week trip to Hanoi, Vietnam. Do I need to get a re-entry permit from Thai Immigration in order to make this trip?

    1. If your Non Immigrant B visa is a single entry visa obtained inside Thailand, you will need to apply for a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand.

  19. My wife and I are US citizens living in Denver, Colorado. We visit our children who live in Bangkok every other year and stay with them for four months – using double entry tourist visas. This year (2016) we were told only a single entry tourist visa was available for 60 days. We are now in Bangkok and need to know how to procure visas for the second 60 day period. Our return flight is scheduled for March 2017. We, of course, know that we must leave Thailand briefly before our first entry expires on January 13, 2017.

    1. You may visit a Thai embassy or consulate in a neighboring country such as Laos or Cambodia to apply for a 60-day tourist visa to cover the rest of your trip.

  20. My Thai visa will be expired on 27th December 2016. My company will make visa extension process on 9th December. After submitting the documents, the immigration police officer would make consideration process about my visa and give appointment date after one month.
    My question is that within that one month under consideration of the police department, can I go to other country and come back to Thailand with appropriate re-entry visa?

    1. You may travel during the one-month period given to you after submitting your application. You will need to obtain a re-entry permit before leaving Thailand so that the 1-month stamp will not be cancelled upon your exit.

  21. My boyfriend and I will be staying in Thailand for 34 days. We are Americans and were hoping for a visa on arrival.

    Can we apply for a longer visa at the airport? Or is it better to request an extension?

    1. You will only be given a 30-day entry stamp at the airport based on your passports. You will then need to apply for an extension at an immigration office in Thailand before the 30-day stamp expires.

  22. I am an Austrian citizen and would like to apply for me and my son for a visa extension of our 30-day stamps in Bangkok. Can I do this at any of the four addresses provided above?

    How long is the processing time? Is it for all locations the same? Can I prove the 40,000 baht by showing you (German) bank statement and my income confirmation or do you need to see cash? My son does not have the same surname as me. The reason is that I have not taken the surname of my husband but have kept my maiden name. Is this a problem?

    1. You will need to visit the Immigration office below to apply for the extension of your 30-day stamps.
      The Govenment Complex Commemorating His Majesty, B Building, Floor 2 (South Zone)
      Chaengwattana Road (Soi 7), Laksi, Bangkok 10210

      ​You only need to bring the following in applying for the extension based on tourism.

      1. Application form TM.7 (application must be made in person)
      2. Copy of applicant’s passport
      3. Photo 4 x 6 cm. (not older than 6 months)
      4. Application fee 1,900 Baht (per applicant)

  23. Dear all,
    Hi, may I get some information regarding Thai Visa? Recently, I hold non-immigrant and it will be extended again 29 Oct 2016. So can I go to do it before or after one week during the deadline?

    Best Regards,

    1. Generally, visa extensions must be done within the last 30 days of the validity. You must not wait until after the deadline as your visa can no longer be extended once it has expired.

  24. Greetings,

    I’m an Indian passport holder. I got a 15 days tourist visa on arrival from 28 September until 12 October. I wish to stay in Thailand( Bangkok) for another 10 days more until 22 October. Please advise which of the above mentioned offices I can get my visa extension done and how much time does this approximately take.

    1. A visa on arrival cannot be extended further than the period provided. You will need to exit Thailand before your visa on arrival expires and then re-enter and apply for another visa on arrival if you wish to stay longer.

Leave a Reply