Thailand Marriage Visa

Marriage Visa for Thailand

Foreigners who are legally married to a Thai national may apply for a Non-immigrant O visa based on marriage in Thailand.

You can apply to live in Thailand long term if you are married to a Thai or if you have a Thai child or children. The marriage visa for Thailand is issued at a Thai Embassy in your home country and it is normally issued as a single entry visa and valid for 90 days once you enter Thailand.

These are the documents need to start the process and will get you a single entry visa or a multiple entry visa. certain embassies want to see at least 100,000 THB in a Thai bank account to issue you with a multiple entry “O” visa or marriage visa. These do vary from embassy to embassy. Once you enter Thailand you have 90 days to extend this visa for 1 year and this process normally takes 3-4 weeks to complete. They will need the following documents for the extension for the visa.

  • Copy of your passport;
  • Copy of your Thai marriage certificate (both versions);
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s ID card;
  • Copy of your Thai wife’s Tabian Baan (House Papers)
  • Copy of a map to your residence in Thailand;
  • Copy of photos showing you and your wife together;
  • Copy of your bank book showing 400,000 THB in your bank account;or
  • Copy of your income showing 40,000 THB per month in income

As stated the process takes about 3 weeks and you would need to ensure once it is issued that you obtain a re-entry permit to ensure that when you leave Thailand and return that you do not invalidate the extended visa. With this extended visa you do not need to leave Thailand every 3 months to activate another leg of your visa. You only need to report your home address to Thai immigration every 90 days.

The process can be difficult so it is always best to speak to a lawyer in Thailand who can assist you with the extension process and the visa application. Speak to us online or in person in Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Chiang Mai or in Isaan.



  1. Avatar

    Hi, I am married to a Thai national. I work in the oil and gas industry (Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia). I usually come in and out of Thailand 5-6 times a year depending on my work load. I do not have a permanent residence in any of the countries listed. What visa would be best for myself to be able to have permanent residence in Thailand? We own some properties in both of our names.

    1. Consultant

      ​First, you may apply for a 90-day Non Immigrant O Visa based on marriage and then convert this to a 1-year marriage visa. Once you have applied for 3 consecutive years of visa extensions on the marriage visa, you can then apply for permanent residence for Thailand.

  2. Avatar

    I’m married to a Thai lady and live in Thailand. Regarding finance, can the 400,000 baht I need be a combination of bank and income moneys?

    1. Consultant

      Using a combination of money in a Thai bank account and monthly income will depend on the immigration office where you will apply for the 1-year marriage visa. Please get in touch with the immigration office that has jurisdiction in your province to confirm if this is possible.

  3. Avatar

    I’m Married to Thai lady in 2008 and I have been working in Bangkok all these years and extending my marriage visa every year with proof of monthly income and work permit in Thailand. But my assignment was finished in a Thai company last June this year and I no longer get income in Thailand. At the moment I am having monthly income in India equal to just over 40,000 THB. My visa expires on December 12th and I don’t have 400,000 THB in Thai account. In this case, how can I extend my visa?

    1. Consultant

      If you are able to meet the requirement of 40,000THB monthly income from your home country, you must obtain an income affidavit from your embassy in Thailand that will support this. Kindly contact your embassy for the requirements and procedures in obtaining the income affidavit.

  4. Avatar

    I just wonder, that such a recommended Law Company is NOT able to provide correct Informations about a Marriage Visa!
    I have postet this Conversation here in the Thaivisa Forum – a Gloab Moderator just stated this about your given Informations:
    ……Just wrong and misleading info. That site is full of it…..
    How dare you?

    1. Consultant

      Hi Martin,

      First of all, this page is not about Permanent Residency in Thailand. It talks about Marriage Visa, what are the requirements and how to get one. There are many ways to get permanent residency in Thailand. One of the readers was asking about what would be the best Thai visa for him given that he is married to a Thai national. We didn’t say that this is the only way to get a permanent residency in Thailand.

      We agree that there is no such thing as marriage visa, but for the sake of SEO, we used such term as many were using the term “marriage visa” when searching for information of what is actually a 1 year extension of stay based on Thai marriage.

      Again, this page is all about marriage visa or 1 year extension of stay based on marriage and not about permanent residency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *