Foreigners may now enter Thailand for tourism purposes. Foreign tourists may visit Thailand in 3 different ways:
- Visa Exemption – This is a free visa given to foreigners at the airport. It is available to nationalities of countries under the Visa Exemption Scheme.
- Tourist Visa (TR Visa) – This is a visa issued by the Thai Embassy or Consulate prior to traveling to Thailand. This is valid for single entry and it allows the traveler to stay for 60 days starting from the date of arrival.
- Special Tourist Visa (STV) – This is a visa also issued by the Thai Embassy or Consulate before coming to Thailand. This is valid for a single entry. The traveler must enter Thailand before July 3, 2021. The foreign tourist will be allowed to stay for 90 days from the date of arrival.
When a visa exemption, tourist visa, or a special tourist visa is about to expire, foreigners can apply for a visa renewal or visa extension to stay in Thailand before the permit to stay expires. It is recommended to apply for the visa extension within 1 week before the date of expiry of your entry stamp.
How to Apply for Tourist Visa Extension
For the visa extension, the applicant will be granted an extension of the visa up to 1 month from the expiration of the original permission of stay, except for some countries the visa will be extended for just 7 days.
Qualifications for Tourist Visa Extension
- Must have been granted a tourist visa or visa exemption
- Must not be of nationality or type prescribed by the committee monitoring official proceedings of officers of the Immigration Bureau
- Application form TM.7 (application must be made in person)
- Copy of passport, visa sticker from the embassy (Tourist Visa (TR) or the latest arrival stamp for Visa Exemption
- TM30 address notification
- Photo 4 x 6 cm. (not older than 6 months)
- Application fee 1,900 Baht.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The extension for the 45-day visa exemption and the 60-day tourist visa is an additional 30 days. However, the foreigner may also apply for COVID 19 extension and it is valid for 60 days. This visa relief is available until May 29, 2021.
How to Apply for Special Tourist Visa or STV extension
During the COVID-19 pandemic, travelers who want to come to Thailand to travel can apply for the Special Tourist Visa (STV). Travelers can only apply for the STV from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in their country. This visa will allow the foreigner to stay in Thailand for 90 days and can be renewed another two times per 90-day period of stay in Thailand for up to 270 days.
- An application for extension of temporary stay in the Kingdom (TM.7) with a photo attached.
- Copy of passport, visa sticker from the embassy (Special Tourist Visa (STV)), the latest arrival stamp, TM.6 card (departure card).
- TM30 address notification
- Proof of a place to stay such as a copy of a condominium title deed owned by a foreigner or family member, proof of condominium or house rental, proof of payment for purchasing or leasing a condominium where a foreigner can legally purchase or lease.
- Pay a visa extension fee of 1,900 THB at the immigration office where a foreigner submits an application for visa extension.
- A foreigner will be permitted to extend a visa 2 times, each permission will be granted for not exceeding 90 days.
- A foreigner who enters the Kingdom from 3 July 2021 onwards will not be permitted to extend a visa.
- A foreigner, who is permitted to stay in the Kingdom not more than 30 September 2021 and wishes to extend the length of stay for STV, must submit an application for visa extension before 30 September 2021.
- A Foreigner cannot change the STV into another type of visa within Thailand