Popular Visa Questions

Popular Thai Visa Questions

This is a list of common questions on Thai Visas. There are some confusion about the Thai visa process and system. If you have any questions that is not covered in this article, please send us an email or contact us via the chat messenger.

Do you need to leave Thailand every 90 days with a marriage visa?

The answer is yes and no. It depends on the type of visa that you have. If you have a multiple entry Non immigrant “O” visa based on a marriage to a Thai citizen, the visa will allow you to enter Thailand multiple times during the year but you are only allowed to stay a maximum of 90 days each time you enter the country.

However if you financially qualify you can file for a full year extension of your Non-immigrant “O” Visa where you only have to report to the immigration authorities every 90 days. In order to qualify for a one year extension, you will have to show a minimum of 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account or at least 2 months prior to the extension or produce a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht.

Am I blacklisted in Thailand?

If you have committed a serious crime in Thailand or was previously removed from Thailand for visa then your information is probably in the government system. There is a good possibility that you will have a very difficult time obtaining a new visa to enter Thailand. We do not have access to the Thai government databases. You will have to apply for a visa in your home country to see determine whether you have been placed on an inadmissibility list.

What type of visa can I get with a Thai wife?

There are a couple of options for you. You can obtain a tourist visa or a Non-Immigrant “O” and then extend the visa when you enter Thailand. The extension can be filed as a Thai immigration office in Thailand.

Our offices in Chiangmai, Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket can assist you.

How do I extend my visa in Thailand?

This depends on what type of visa you have. If it is a 2 month tourist visa then you can go to any immigration office and for a fee of 1,900THB they will extend your Thai visa for another 30 days. In addition, the marriage visa can be extended for 1 year.

A retirement visa or Thai “O-A” visa can also be extended in Thailand for 1 year if you meet the financial requirements of the visa.

An educational visa can also be extended in Thailand but you will have to show evidence that you are attending classes. If you obtained your educational visa based on enrollment in a language school, the immigration officer may you’re your Thai language skills. If it is from a university they will want to see the exam results to extend the visa.

94 thoughts on “Popular Visa Questions

  1. Dear sir or madam, I have a retirement visa, renewed on the 6th fanuary 2020 valid until 6 January 2021.
    The covid 19 has meant I am a bit late with my 90day report. I believe 90 starts from issue of new visa. Will I be fined or will I be ok to go tomorrow to do my report( 17 April)?

    1. The 90-day reporting has been suspended until July 31 however you have a choice to report or not report before then.

  2. Good afternoon,
    I have to provide my marriage certificate before April 20th for my one year visa.I live in Patong and I don’t drive, my husband will drive me to Phuket, but I wanted to know if there is an exemption to leave the district.
    Kind regards

    1. You have to check with the Immigration Office in Phuket if they have set up service centers in each district to accommodation visa applications.

  3. Hi
    Do I just need 1900 Bahts for extended 30 visa, I have 1 cancelled flight, got another flight booked on the 28th March, if that is cancelled too I might be flying on the 10th April.. so will be 10 days over my free 29/30 day visa….. So I think I will opt out for another 30 days to play it safe… do I need a photo with me, or just my passport ? Mike

    1. You are able to extend for another 30 days at the local immigration office. For the extension, you just have to submit one passport size photo (4cm x 6cm) with white background, TM6 departure card, TM30 receipt from your hotel or accommodation and pay the fee of 1,900 Thai baht.

  4. I am Indonesian so I have Thai wife and Thai child but I have age 57 years ,my question is what category visa I will take for staying 1 year?

    1. You can apply for a 90-day non-immigrant O visa from the Thai embassy in Jakarta. This visa will be converted into a 1 year marriage visa or into 1-year retirement visa at the local immigration office in Thailand.

  5. Dear sir,

    I want to stay with family in Thailand but I cannot go back please help me clear my blacklist so I can stay with my wife and my baby.


  6. I have a multiple entry Non immigrant “ED” Visa until 9 March 2017. Can I extend after that time? What can I do after that time?

    1. Applying for an extension will depend on whether or not you are able to meet the requirements of the immigration office in your current residence in Thailand. It would be best that you get in touch with an immigration office for information about extending your visa.

  7. Can I extend a 15-day land-border VOA (Visa on arrival) for another 30 days? Or does it only apply to obtained 60 days tourist visas?

  8. I am holding Bangladeshi Passport. I have a Re-entry Business Visa where stay is valid till 12th November. Now I have to attend my official project works at Bangkok from 6th to 11th of December. How many days maximum I can apply to extend it?

    1. Kindly get in touch with the immigration office in Thailand to check if it would be possible for you to apply for an extension on the same Business Visa. Otherwise, you will need to apply for a new visa from the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country or country of residence.

  9. Hi,

    How can I get a Thai police clearance or statement from the Thai immigration authorities? Since I had 2 days overstay in Thailand in January 2016. The Australian government is asking me for that when applying for my Australian working visa. (I am currently in Australia).


    1. A police clearance must be obtained from the Thai Royal Police in Thailand. You may send an email to [email protected] should you need assistance to obtain the document while you are in Australia.

  10. I am American planning to fly to Thailand on 60 days tourist visa and 30 more by immigration. How can I leave and return for 39 days more?

    1. After your first trip on a tourist visa, you can exit and re-enter on visa exemption for a maximum of 30 days based on your passport. You can then apply for an extension on the 30-day stamp at immigration.

  11. Thanks for your answer. Do you mean when I enter first time or when I return after using my visa? I have an American passport.

    1. For American passport holders, you can enter on visa exemption for 30 days each time you enter. This applies once you exit Thailand after your 60-day tourist visa plus 30-day extension expires and you re-enter Thailand.

  12. I have a 60 days tourist visa that can be extended 30 days by immigration. What do I need to do when I leave Thailand and return to get another 30 days not 15?

    1. Depending on the passport you hold, you can obtain a 30-day stamp if you arrive by air at the immigration checkpoint at the airport.

  13. If I want to visit Vietnam from Thailand, do I need to present a return flight back to my country, South – Africa? Or back to Thailand on departure? Or can I book a one way to Vietnam?

    1. Kindly get in touch with Vietnam immigration. We do not have information about their immigration rules.

  14. My Year Visum expires January 3rd. I would like a new 1 year Visum applying for in Thailand and saving a flight to the Netherlands.
    Is this possible?

    1. The renewal or extension of your visa will totally depend on the type of visa that you have or you wish to obtain and if you have met the requirement. Please tell us more about your visa or expound your inquiry.

  15. Hi
    How many time can I apply for tourist visa? Do I need it in my home country or in any country? The single entry visa how many time can be extended?

    Another question about elite visa is that legal in Thailand? Should I consider that if I want to stay long in Thailand without work?

    1. Below are the responses to your inquiries.

      ​How many time can I apply for tourist visa?
      — The number of tourist visa applications will depend on the discretion of the consul who will review your application.

      Do I need it in my home country or in any country?
      –Generally, you are advised to apply for the visa at the Thai embassy or consulate in your home country.

      The single entry visa how many time can be extended?
      — The visa can be extended once.

      Another question about elite visa is that legal in Thailand? Should I consider that if I want to stay long in Thailand without work?
      ​– ​It would be recommended that you get in touch with a Thai embassy or consulate near your residence to inquire about the applicable visa for your case.

  16. Hallo,
    Mein Freund und ich haben ein Problem. Leider haben wir erst im Nachhinein gemerkt, dass unser 30 Tage Visum einen Tag früher abläuft als unser Ruckflug. Da wir ers um 23.40 gelandet sind handelt es sich nur um 20 Minuten wenn man es streng nimmt. Der Beamte am Flughafen hat uns da auch nicht drauf hingewiesen und aufgrund der Zeitverschiebung haben wir das nicht bemerkt. Wir sind nun bis 20. August zugelassen, der Flug nach Deutschland geht allerdings erst am 21. August. Ich hoffe Sie können uns weiterhelfen was wir tun können. Mit freundlichen Grüssen
    Sophia und Moritz

  17. I am a retired person from Sri Lanka having a Sri Lankan passport valid till September 2026. Can I apply retirement visa at an immigration office in Thailand? I can bring bank balance confirmation.

    1. In order to apply for a retirement visa for Thailand, you need to meet the requirements and eligibility. Kindly refer below.

      • Applicant must be 50 years of age or over
      • Must meet the financial requirements
      • Security deposit of THB 800,000 in a Thai Bank Account for 2 months prior to the visa application; or
      • Monthly income or pension of at least THB 65,000. An affidavit from the foreign embassy or consulate has to be obtained as proof of the income
      • ​In some immigration offices, they also accept a combination of the above requirements. However, this is not applicable in all cases.

      ​Before applying for the retirement visa, you need to obtain a 90-day Non Immigrant “O” visa from the Thai Embassy in Colombo and then travel to Thailand with this visa. You may get in touch with the Thai embassy for assistance with the 90-day visa application.

      ​Royal Thai Embassy Colombo, Sri Lanka
      ​Address: No. 29A Wijerama Mawatha,
      Colombo 07, Sri Lanka
      Tel: 00 94 11 7529 500 -3
      E-mail: [email protected]

  18. Hello, I am Cambodian and staying in Thailand. My visa is out of date and I didn’t extend it yet. I want to ask you how many day can I go to extend my visa after visa expired date?

    1. Once your visa has expired, you can no longer apply for an extension. You will need to exit Thailand immediately and apply for the appropriate visa you need for your trip.​

  19. Hello
    I have a visa on arrival-30 days. I would like to extend this by 2 weeks. Is this possible?

    Thank you.

    1. Depending on the passport that you hold, you may be able to apply for an extension of temporary stay at a local immigration office in Thailand for 7 or 30 days. Kindly visit the immigration office to apply for the extension.

  20. Hello, I am from the UK currently in Cambodia

    I’m looking to get a 60 day tourist visa and then extend for another 30 days. But, I’m required to book a flight out of Thailand within the first 60 days to even get the visa? I’m confused because I won’t be getting that flight regardless because I hope (and see no reason why I wouldn’t) to be granted an extra 30 days.

    1. Since the initial visa application is only for a 60-day tourist visa, you will need to present a return ticket ​within the 60-day period in order to be granted the said visa. Then once you receive the 30-day extension, you can change the date of your return flight.

  21. Hello, I have a question I am from Philippines but I am currently now in Abu Dhabi. I wanted to visit Thailand. So my question is, do I really need to present a departure ticket to the immigration of Thailand? Or it is just fine to show one way ticket. Hope for your response!

    1. You will need to show a departure ticket as proof that you will not stay beyond the time frame allowed by immigration based on your passport.

Leave a Reply