Popular Visa Questions

Popular Thai Visa Questions

This is a list of common questions on Thai Visas. There are some confusion about the Thai visa process and system. If you have any questions that is not covered in this article, please send us an email or contact us via the chat messenger.

Do you need to leave Thailand every 90 days with a marriage visa?

The answer is yes and no. It depends on the type of visa that you have. If you have a multiple entry Non immigrant “O” visa based on a marriage to a Thai citizen, the visa will allow you to enter Thailand multiple times during the year but you are only allowed to stay a maximum of 90 days each time you enter the country.

However if you financially qualify you can file for a full year extension of your Non-immigrant “O” Visa where you only have to report to the immigration authorities every 90 days. In order to qualify for a one year extension, you will have to show a minimum of 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account or at least 2 months prior to the extension or produce a monthly income of at least 40,000 baht.

Am I blacklisted in Thailand?

If you have committed a serious crime in Thailand or was previously removed from Thailand for visa then your information is probably in the government system. There is a good possibility that you will have a very difficult time obtaining a new visa to enter Thailand. We do not have access to the Thai government databases. You will have to apply for a visa in your home country to see determine whether you have been placed on an inadmissibility list.

What type of visa can I get with a Thai wife?

There are a couple of options for you. You can obtain a tourist visa or a Non-Immigrant “O” and then extend the visa when you enter Thailand. The extension can be filed as a Thai immigration office in Thailand.

Our offices in Chiangmai, Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket can assist you.

How do I extend my visa in Thailand?

This depends on what type of visa you have. If it is a 2 month tourist visa then you can go to any immigration office and for a fee of 1,900THB they will extend your Thai visa for another 30 days. In addition, the marriage visa can be extended for 1 year.

A retirement visa or Thai “O-A” visa can also be extended in Thailand for 1 year if you meet the financial requirements of the visa.

An educational visa can also be extended in Thailand but you will have to show evidence that you are attending classes. If you obtained your educational visa based on enrollment in a language school, the immigration officer may you’re your Thai language skills. If it is from a university they will want to see the exam results to extend the visa.

94 thoughts on “Popular Visa Questions

    1. Songkran is a national and a major holiday in Thailand. Therefore, all government offices are close during this time.

  1. My friend is thai and has been blacklisted by the banks. Are there restrictions on her passport to travel overseas to another country

    1. You may check with the Immigration Section at the airport in your country to confirm whether or not your friend has also been restricted to travel and leave your country.

  2. Hello. I need help advice here. I have arrived here and started my last entry of the 3 one I got from the beginning the 30 October 2015. I make a wrong booking with the ticket back to Europe. Can I extend my Visa for 30 days after the date my last visa expire?

    1. Depending on the type of your visa and provided that you have not yet extended it before, you may be able to get an extension to your visa. For more information, you may contact the Immigration Office directly.

  3. Hello Ladies and Gentlemen! I sold my Motorbike and the buyer told me that I need some paper from You. So I will visit You next week. What You need from me? Passport and what else?

    Thanks and best regards!
    Peter Huhnen

    1. Please check with the buyer which government office you’ll need to go to regarding the required papers.

  4. Hi Sir,

    If I visit Thailand as a visitor on 30 days visa 4 times per year is any immigration law in Thailand can limit number visit for foreigner visitor per calendar year?
    Assuming no over stay or any past issue just visit for 30 days and leave on time.
    I there is such restriction law where can I get a copy of that?
    Thanks in advance!

    1. A person who is eligible for the Visa Exempt entry to Thailand may enter the country as long as he meets the requirements. It is, however, under the discretion of the Immigration Officer whether or not to grant the person this privilege in the event that multiple visa-free stamps for the same entry have already been obtained in the past.

  5. Will i be allowed to enter Thailand with Philippine passport with 5 months and 15 days validity? I have a scheduled flight to Thailand on March 27 for a 7 day holiday trip. I have return tickets. My passport is expiring on Sept 11. Right now, renewal of my passport is impossible because it takes 10-12 days processing. Thanks!

    1. Yes, you are able to do so, make sure you exit Thailand within 30 days.

  6. I have retirement visa and need to travel overseas. The problem is that by the time I get back, my visa would have run out by quite a few weeks. Can I apply for an extension before I travel?

    Also the 800,000, can it be in multiple accounts or does it have to be in one account only?

    1. I suggest for you to renew your retirement visa before you travel abroad. You are allowed to renew it as early as 45 days before the expiry date. The 800,000 baht can be on multiple accounts as long as it is under your name only and it is on the same bank. Most immigration officers would prefer to have it in a single bank account.

  7. Good afternoon!

    I am a Filipino! I would like to ask regarding the impose law which requires visa for foreign children. My 2 kids are born here in Thailand. One is 6 years old the other is 4. Ever since they have not left the country and i just got them recently their passports to be issued by April. Can you advise me on this one. Your reply would be much appreciated.

    Thanks and God bless!

    1. After your children have received their passports, you must apply for a non-immigrant O visa at the local immigration office and apply for the 1 year extension after that. No one is exempted from having a Thai visa. There are only special treatments to children below 14 years old that they are protected by law and that they cannot be put to jail or they cannot be asked to pay for the overstay fine. The parents however can be persecuted for allowing the children to be overstaying.

  8. I currently stay in Thailand with a retirement visa. I now found a job and my new company told me to go out of the country to get tourist visa/visa exempt so they can apply for temporary worpermit. Later I will have to go to Kuala Lumpur to get a Non-immigrant B visa.
    Is it possible to cross the border in Mae Sai into Myanmar and then go back the same day?
    Is it possible to change my retirement visa into Non-immigrant B in Thailand?

    1. Yes, it is possible for you to exit at Mai Sai and you will be given 15 or 30 days entry stamp depending on your nationality. I suggest for you to travel to a different border, Mae Sai is not a good place for border trips at this time. It is not possible to change a retirement visa into a non-immigrant B visa inside Thailand. You need to travel to Laos, Malaysia or other neighboring country to obtain the non-immigrant B visa.

  9. I have a Tourist visa category TR which I have had before and was given 60 days when I arrived. I have just looked in my passport and this time I have only been given 30 days. Has this visa changed or is it a mistake?

    1. If you think there was a mistake in the stamp given to you, you need to go to the immigration office and have then make the correction. This process is free of charge.

  10. Hi sir

    I’m Myanmar citizen with Myanmar passport. I will arrive from Germany and visit in Thailand for a week.
    Do I need to apply visa?

    1. Myanmar nationals will not require a visa for Thailand if you will be arriving through an international airport. You will be given free visa good for 14 days.

  11. Hello sir I am no renue visa I have non-o visa but dublocate marriage agent but now I am new real marriage and get visa how can do this please help me

    1. The first thing you have to secure is your legal marriage. We can assist you with legal marriage if you let us know your nationality and what type of visa do you have right now and when will it expire?

  12. After applying for extension of temporary stay in the kingdom and such case must be under consideration of the authorized official for a period which an appointment date must be made for collecting approval permit, during this time an alien lost his passport, what an alien have to do? Can he/she able to get visa extension after his/her passport issue? Is there any supporting documents need? Or alien have to pay like overstay or something like that?

    1. In the case of lost passport, please visit your embassy in Thailand for processing of a new one. They should be providing you information regarding the requirements and also on how to deal with visa or the issue of overstay.

  13. Hi Sir,

    My friend is overstay in Thailand more than 90 days. If he will go in May 2016 then he will be blacklisted. How he has caught by immigration police on airport if he get new booklet.

    1. We advise that you inform your friend to leave the country and settle the overstay fine as soon as possible to avoid further complication with the Thai immigration.

  14. Hello,

    I am a Vietnamese getting married to an Italian who is working in Bangkok. I got Non-immigrant Visa type O. It is valid until 1 April 2016. I am looking for the requirements on visa extension but I could not find it anywhere. Could you please advise which documents i need to prepare to obtain Visa extension?

    Thank you very much

    1. The requirements for non-immigrant visa application is contingent upon necessities, depending on the purpose stated in the application form. Basically, the documents that will be likely required are proof of your relationship with your spouse and proof of your spouse’s employment and valid stay in Thailand. For more information, it is recommended that you contact or visit the nearest immigration office.

  15. I flew into Bangkok and received a 30 day visa on arrival. I have since extended this visa at immigration office and paid a fee of 1,900THB getting a further 30 days. This period is coming to an end. What I want to know is can I extend this visa again at immigration for a further 30 days or do I need fly out and then return to get a further 30 days?

    1. You can only apply for an extension once. If you wish to stay for another 30 days in Thailand, you can do a visa run or make an exit trip and come back to Thailand.

  16. Hi,

    I have a valid 1 year VISA and will expire on Feb 201, My nationality is Filipino working in a company under BOI. As we are preparing documents to renew/extend my VISA for another year we encounter an issue with BOI as we did not meet the requirement with them, I was advised to get a multiple non-B VISA before the VISA will expire.

    So VISA will expire on Feb 25 advised to get a multiple non-B VISA in Kuala Lumpur Royal Thai Embassy on Feb 1.

    Is there any problem with this scenario, I have a valid VISA and will get multiple non-B visa before it will expire?

    Thank you in advance.

    1. You are able to go to KL or Malaysia on or before February 25th and apply for a new 3 months non immigrant B visa. After that, you may return to Thailand and you apply for 1 year extension at the one stop service. IF your company is not eligible to apply for the 1 year extension, I highly recommend that you apply for the 1 year multiple entry Non B visa in Manila or Penang, Malaysia.

  17. Do you have office in China or Bangkok that I can refer clients with immigration visa on Bangkok to your company?

    1. We should be able to refer you to the right office or agency in Bangkok. Please provide us with your contact details and more information about your clients’ immigration needs.

  18. If foreigner buy property in Bangkok can they get investment visa for a year? After 5 years can get immigration visa or similar to Greencard?
    If buy property can my children apply student visa in international school?


    1. Yes, you may apply for an investment visa when you invest in a condominium in Thailand. The required investment is 10 million baht in order to become qualified for the visa. In regard to your concern about becoming a permanent resident in Thailand, you may visit the Immigration Bureau website below for more information.


  19. Dear Sir,

    My Tourist Visa last entry date will expire on Dec-9. I’m not sure by this time limit I can enter Thai or Not for unavoidable circumstance.

    If I will not entry with in Dec-9. How can I extend last date of entry?

    Or I need new apply for Visa if can’t enter with Dec-9?

    1. The expiration date of the visa is the latest date when you can use it to travel to Thailand. If you are not able to enter on of before the expiration date, you will need to apply for a new visa.

  20. Hi I’m from Malaysia. My wife is from Vietnam. We are married from year 2008. If I want to bring my wife to travel to Thailand, is my wife need to apply any travel visa?

    1. This will depend on how long you wish to stay in Thailand. If both of you will be travelling by air and you will just stay here in Thailand for no longer than 30 days, then both you and your wife will not need a visa. If it is otherwise, then a visa will be required. Please contact the nearest Thai Embassy or Consulate in your area about the proper visa for your travel.

  21. Dear Sir,

    I am Sharmin Afrooza, a citizen of Bangladesh. Actually Sir I have some queries about Thai Visa. I am very much interested to stay in Thailand for a year and also in need of a business visa for my husband. For your kind information, I had multiple visa for 1 year that I took 2 years back but my husband is new to Thailand Visit. So my question is that, is there any way to get a multiple or ED or 1 year visa? And is there any probability to get the business visa for my husband?

    It would be a great kind if you help me regarding this issue or show me some ways. Thank you.

    1. Hi Sharmin,

      Your husband will be eligible to apply for the business visa if (a) he will be setting up his own business in Thailand or (b) he will be employed by a Thai company. If you can obtain a business visa for yourself, then your husband may also apply for a dependent visa as your spouse.

      In regard to ED visa applications, you will have to contact and verify directly from the school or institution in Thailand the requirements and processing of the visa.

    2. Thanks a lot for your reply. now i want to know how i can proceed for the business visa ? should i consult with a lawyer or with a consultancy firm in Bangkok? would b grateful if i can have a reply from you soon.
      Thanks in advance

    3. Please provide us with your contact details and we will get in touch with you soon for further advise on your concern.

  22. I want to ask about my visa..my visa will expired on 14 april 2105..and i will go back to malaysia 2 week after my visa expired..it is i must to expend my visa?? Second question is, after my visa was expired, how long that i can stay here??

    1. Hi Zulaiha,

      You can apply for an extension to a Thai tourist visa for another 30 days. As long as your visa is still valid, then you can stay inside Thailand.

  23. How. I wonder if I know or can help me. I was working in partway for t years where I live with my Thai wife and small kids. I was arrested for the British police for a drug crime in the UK. I was held in bok jail for 3 months and extradited. I served my time in UK prison and now I am on licence. But they said I can go back to my life with my family of the Thai authorities will allow me. Would I be on the blacklist…what to do I miss my family so much..Any help appreciated

    1. Unfortunately, we don’t have a way to know if you already blacklisted in Thailand. Normally, when a person is charged with a criminal case and got imprisoned in their home country, they’re not automatically banned or blacklisted to enter Thailand since it is outside the Thai jurisdiction.

    2. Hi, Thanks for your reply… Sorry some of my previous message was mixed up. I was using my Asus tablet and I didn’t notice it was on predictive text.

      The main reason I was asking about was because I was arrested in Thailand where I work and lived and then put into Bangkok jail for 3 months before being extradited, that is what made me think that the Thai immigration may not let me re-enter Thailand. Because the charge against me in the UK was for delivering drugs.

      I pleaded guilty as the British judge told me, the case was 4 years old and if I didn’t plead guilty he would give me the longest sentence he could… My barrister advised me to plead guilty and would probably only get 6 months to a year due to my age and health. As it happened I was innocent of this charge, but knew the people involved and was sentenced to 4 years 8 months… served the half now and want to get back with my family.

      Unfortunately, the British probation service will not let me go… because they say I am on licence and must wait for the next 2 years and 4 months to pass.

      This is unfair as under article 8 of the human rights act I have a right to family life. But of course the British establishment do not like European law… so major problems for me.

      Sorry to ramble but thought I would just tell you a bit about my predicament.


    3. We will be forwarding your concern to a lawyer. Please provide your email address for future correspondence.

Leave a Reply